Sunday, November 12, 2006

The "STAR" treatment

Have you ever been given the “STAR” treatment at a restaurant? You know, you're treated so well that everyone else is watching you and wondering who the hell you are?

We went down to Chicago yesterday and had dinner at Fulton’s on the River with my sister and brother-in-law. My nephew is one of the chef’s there. He’s 22 and passionate about his work, but that’s another story. Here’s how the evening went:

After being escorted to our table, the waitress approaches with two bottles of wine, one red and one white. She informs us that the wine is compliments of the manager of the front of the house. I don’t generally drink wine, preferring a grey goose cosmo or grey goose and tonic, but, what the hell. One was a pinot and one a red zinfandel. My sister and I split the bottle of pinot and I really have to find out what brand it was because I so enjoyed it! We were given menus and a bread basket. Not five minutes later, the waitress returned with my nephew and another of the chefs, who was carrying a large silver platter covered with ice, on top of which was perched a large Alaskan king crab. The WHOLE crab. We were informed that this would be what we would be starting with, and that it was caught last week in Alaska, And was alive two days ago. At this point people were starting to stare and murmur. A few minutes later they brought out the crab. The presentation was gorgeous and I have never tasted crab that good, and I’ve consumed a good amount of crab in my life time. Our table was located near the bottom of a stairway and as people were escorted down to their tables, they would point to our and talk amongst themselves. The waitress took our orders and we were left to devour the crab. I’m not kidding; I have NEVER tasted crab that good. So, during this time a number of the managerial staff came to the table and lavished praise about my nephew. And the other patrons in the restaurant continued to stare. Our entrees were delivered to the table. Everything was delicious, and no matter how much we drank, the wine glasses continued to stay full (it must have been magic, that’s all I can think). Shortly after our entrée plates were cleared, two bricks wrapped in linen were placed in the middle of our table. Two of the wait staff, along with our waitress, brought out a glass serving piece, probably 12’ X 36”, loaded with desserts, and placed it on top of the bricks. There was crème brule, key lime torte, key lime something else, pumpkin cannoli, some peanut butter thing. AGGHH it was sinful! The glass was drizzled with raspberry icing and powdered sugar and there were strawberries placed here and there. It was beautiful. And, the people continued to watch and murmur. Ahhh, feeling a bit tipsy, and quite sated, we were told that the entire evening was on the house. WHAT!!

Needless to say, we had a wonderful evening and I’m so proud of my nephew. We were treated like royalty based on how well he is liked and appreciated there. And the food and service was fantastic. I can’t wait to go back to Chi-Town!

6 comments:

Tigerblue said...

Wow!! Seymour,

Sounds like a wonderful meal. I was getting hungry reading your description.

seymour said...

HAHAHA I can't believe you read it all. It's an epic post!

I still can't believe that crab.... :)

Anonymous said...

My, that sounds wonderful! Like TB said, I'm getting hungry just reading that! Oh, and let me know if you discover the brand of Pinot. I love Pinot Noir!

The summer before last, my uncle and his new finance came to town for a visit. Her nephew and his wife (she is the chef) own a little restaurant in the area. I joined them and some other of her relatives at the restaurant one evening for dinner. It is soooo cool when the owner gives you special treatment!

Uta Refson said...

WOW! Nice!
So glad to hear your visit was so wonderful!
Yes, we like to treat all our northern neighbors like that! ;)
Think I may need to save up some $$$$$ and check out your nephew's restaurant!

You should visit more often!

seymour said...

Minnie: It was such fun!

Uta: I'd visit every week if I were treated like that all the time! And yes, the restaurant was quite pricey.

dh said...

Crab. yummmmmmmmmmmyyyy......

Is it not a great feeling when we are made to feel special - be it in a fancy eatery or even when someone makes the time to pop by our blog and make a comment.

Thank you.

Hope you have a great week Seymour.