Monday, November 06, 2006

Discrimination in the constitution?

"Marriage. Shall section 13 of article XIII of the constitution be created to provide that only a marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in this state and that a legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized in this state?"

Tomorrow, November 7, 2006, Wisconsin voters will decide whether or not to add discrimination against a group of its citizens into the state constitution. I find it appalling that this referendum even made it to the ballot. This amendment isn’t just about gay marriage, although that’s what those in support of the amendment will tell you. “We have to protect the sanctity of marriage”. This amendment also discriminates against heterosexual unmarried couples. This amendment is just plain wrong, and not at all what this country is SUPPOSED to be about.

Other states that have passed similar bans have experienced unanticipated ramifications. “For example, Ohio judges have dismissed domestic violence cases involving unmarried heterosexual couples because the victims were not married to their alleged abusers. Even though the women were not gay, the judges ruled that the state's new ban prohibits legal recognition for any unmarried couples--even when it comes to domestic violence. In Michigan, the state attorney general ruled that the constitutional ban there overturns domestic partner policies that have been in place in some cities for years. The City of Kalamazoo recently took away health coverage that they had been offering to the domestic partners of city employees.” (Fair Wisconsin)

Fair Wisconsin is the main focus group against this amendment. While I’ve donated money to the organization, I haven’t donated my time and I feel badly about that. If you’d like to learn more, visit their site at http://www.fairwisconsin.com/. If you live in Wisconsin, please vote “NO”.
Exercise your right to vote!

7 comments:

Tigerblue said...

Seymour--I did not realize Wisconsin was putting up this type of amendment this year. The whole anti-gay marriage thing just steams me. Why......?? I could go on forever but I shall control myself.

On another note. So the Pack play the Vikes on Sunday. I'll be watching on TV but my bro will be at the game. This is a great rivalry in my family because my mom comes from Wisconsin and we have a lot of family in Packer territory.

seymour said...

tiger, no control is necessary here. :)

Yes the Pack and Vikes. Who will win? and what could we wager??

Anonymous said...

Dang, I just heard the results of the amendment vote for Wisconsin. Sad face.

Say, I moved to Minnesota from Michigan in 2003 and didn't realize they had passed a ban in that state. Yikes! So sorry to hear that the City of Kalamazoo took away domestic partner health benefits.

Here, in Minnesota, the Democrats managed to keep a constitutional amendment off the ballot this election year.

seymour said...

I really thought we had a chance to beat this here in Wisconsin. I'm just so sad that this cloud of intolerance seems to be sweeping this country, and now in my own home state. I'm just really sad....

Anonymous said...

I have no idea why I have not visited your blog before.

Interesting lady you are.

Thank you for throwing light on my burning questions on American politics ;-)

Oh, .... I kinda like Hillary howcome you do not want her as president?

seymour said...

Oh lurker, it's not the I don't WANT her as president. I just don't think she'll get elected, that's assuming she gets the party nod. I think it would be awesome if she were elected president, and if Barak Obama was her running mate, we could have a women and an African American leading the country. It might be a nice change.

Anonymous said...

Now THAT'S something to look forward to.
Being a woman from Africa that kinda thing excites me.