Friday, March 16, 2007

Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Duit

Tis time for the wearin’ o’ the green!



Being a wee bit Irish, I’ll be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day on the 17th. I read that this day isn’t really celebrated in most parts of the world, as it is here in the United States; perhaps Canada, but not even in Ireland, which I find amusing. Don’t you? I mean, come on, he IS the patron saint of Ireland! This brings to mind a question. Do we have a patron saint of the United States?

Back to St. Patrick, did you know he was actually of English descent, and that he was brought to Ireland as a slave when he was just a boy? He escaped some years later and went back home. It was after he became a missionary that he went back to Ireland where he lived out his remaining years. It’s said that St. Patrick drove the snakes from Ireland. Do you think they meant those slimy-slithery things? Some think that he actually drove out the ancient Druids, because of their serpent symbolism. Oh…I’m just full of questions today.

Butt, there’s no question that I’ll be visiting a few of the Irish bars/pubs in town tomorrow. AND no green beer for me. This Irish gal will be tossing back her favorite Irish brew, Smithwicks. If you’re in the area I’ll be the one wearing the green shirt with “Dublin Rugby Club” on the front.

SLAINTE!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seymour, I love your post labels: beer, Irish!

Every St. Patty's Day I claim I am Mexican-Irish...it's mostly because of the beer (shhhh, don't tell I'm Mexican-mostly Engish).

Have fun with the Smithwicks!

Tigerblue said...

Hey Seymour,

So did you have a great time on St. Patty's Day?

The 17th was my last day of class and we did celebrate with a small potluck but no alcohol. Here in St. Paul they have a big parade and I did see a few partiers on the street on my home.

Big hugs to everyone. I am glad to be back on the blogs.

seymour said...

Minnie...everybody's Irish on St. Patrick's Day!!

YAY..Tiger's back on the blogs!
I had a very nice time visiting a few Irish bars. AND a friend gave me a necklace with a real shamrock on it that she brought back from Ireland.