Thursday, November 29, 2007

The last of vacation...

The following were taken at Volcanoes National Park on the "Big Island", Hawai'i
These picture was taken at Kilauea. Pretty much all you see is lava. It's very much what one would expect the landscape of the moon to be. We actually hiked into one of the craters. There was a sign that said to follow the marked path, but we couldn't find a path....so we just walked...very gingerly. It is, after all, an active volcano.

A view of some of the gasses that are rising from below the surface. Very surreal.

This was taken at the sulfur beds. They say the gasses you see rising in the background come directly from the flowing lava beneath the surface. There were signs warning people with lung problems not to venture here. It felt, and tasted, like I'd eaten a bunch of matches.
And there, among the noxious gasses and lava rock, I found this little beauty.

And what's a trip to the "Big Island" without a journey to a bar to watch the Packers demolish the Vikings. The game was on at 8:00 AM there, but that didn't stop us. Bloody Marys and Mimosas quenched our thirst, and as I'd look to my right from my seat at the bar I'd take in a beautiful vision of the ocean, with no windows to obscure my view. I can't think of a better place to be to watch the Packers kick some Viking butt. Actually, I can't think of a better place to be to watch the Packers kick any NFL butt!
Well, it might be fun in Dallas tonight......

2 comments:

Tigerblue said...

Oh! Don't tell anybody but I love volcanoes! Great pics! I so want to go there some day....Sorry about the Pack last night.

Chazza said...

Those pics are awesome. I can't wait to go to hawaii!

Drinkin at 8am? That's totally freeking AWESOME!